Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new techniques and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the pain-free and quick method to remedy vision, however stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of receiving less than expert his response care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each client. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of countless people around the globe.