Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous new techniques and scientific developments emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the opportunity to lower or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will be delighted with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser center. Select the physician, not the laser. Find out who will really do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a doctor doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your hop over to these guys medical professional will not inform you, find another one.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see perfectly. Each client gets a somewhat different result. The finest cosmetic surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each client. Be careful of any doctor who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for a lot of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.